If you have sensitive files or documents on your Windows 10 computer that you don’t want other users to access, one way to protect them is by password-protecting a folder. This will ensure that only those who know the password can access the folder and its contents. In this blog post, we will guide you through the steps on how to password protect a folder in Windows 10.
Step 1: Create a New Folder
The first step is to create a new folder where you will store the files or documents you want to protect. To create a new folder in Windows 10, right-click on the desktop or the folder where you want to create the new folder and select “New” from the context menu. Then click on “Folder” to create a new folder.
Step 2: Rename the Folder
Once you have created a new folder, you need to give it a name that is easy to remember. Right-click on the folder and select “Rename” from the context menu. Enter the name of the folder and press “Enter” to save the changes.
Step 3: Add Files or Documents to the Folder
After you have created the folder, you need to add the files or documents you want to protect to it. To do this, simply drag and drop the files or documents into the folder.
Step 4: Password Protect the Folder
Now that you have created the folder and added files or documents to it, it’s time to password protect it. There are two ways to password protect a folder in Windows 10: using the built-in encryption feature or using a third-party software.
Method 1: Using the Built-in Encryption Feature
Windows 10 comes with a built-in encryption feature called “BitLocker” that can be used to password protect folders. To use this feature, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the folder you want to encrypt and select “Properties” from the context menu.
- Click on the “Advanced” button under the “General” tab.
- Check the box next to “Encrypt contents to secure data” and click on “OK”.
- Click on “Apply” and then click on “OK” to close the Properties window.
- You will be prompted to choose whether you want to encrypt just the folder or the folder and its contents. Select the option that best suits your needs and click on “OK”.
- You will be prompted to back up the encryption key. Choose a location to save the key and click on “Next”.
- Set a password for the folder and click on “Next”.
- Click on “Start encrypting” to begin the encryption process.
Method 2: Using a Third-Party Software
If you prefer to use a third-party software to password protect your folder, there are many options available online. One of the most popular is “Folder Lock”. To use this software, follow these steps:
- Download and install Folder Lock from the official website.
- Open Folder Lock and click on “Lock Folders” from the main screen.
- Click on “Add Items” and select the folder you want to lock.
- Set a password for the folder and click on “Lock”.
- The folder is now password protected.
Step 5: Accessing the Password Protected Folder
To access the password protected folder, you need to enter the correct password. Simply double-click on the folder and enter the password when prompted. If you entered the correct password, you will be able to access the contents of the folder. If you entered the wrong password, you will be prompted to try again.