Basement floods because it’s below grade, which means it collects moisture from groundwater, and because basements are poorly ventilated and sealed. If you have a sump pump installed in a basement pit, it helps drain any water that enters the basement, even if it comes from your sump pit.
If a storm brings torrential rains, flash flooding, and damaging winds and lightning, it can damage your home’s electrical wiring. It’s possible that a utility company will need to repair your power line or repair a damaged transformer before they’ll reconnect your power.
It’s a good idea to have a backup plan for removing water from the basement if there’s a power outage. The best battery backup for existing sump pumps uses cycling to remove water and the average length of an outage in your area.
The following five sump pumps are great. They will step up when the power goes out.
1. WAYNE Sump Pump Model
If you have a new primary pump in addition to a backup pump, the combination sump pump system is a must. The Wayne Basement Guardian premium protection system is an excellent solution.
- 720 gallons per hour at 10 feet of lift and the maximum flow is 1750 gallons per hour.
- Corrosion-resistant, thermoplastic construction. Alarm sounds notify you when your home security system is active.
- Requires one 40-ampere hour or one 75-ampere hour battery.
- One Year limited warranty.
- ESP15 Battery Back-Up
- 12 Volt Sump Pump System
- Includes primary and backup pumps.
- Sturdy cast iron and aluminium build.
- Sends alerts via smartphone.
- Battery sold separately
2. WATCHDOG Sump Pump Model
The Basement Watchdog Special Sump Pump with Battery Backup CONNECT is a combination unit that includes both a primary sump pump and a battery backup pump. This submersible pump features a polyurethane impeller for long life and corrosion protection.
- Pumps up to 2,500 gallons per hour at 0 feet and up to 1,730 gallons per hour at ten feet.
- The user-friendly control panel shows a warning and tells you what to do for easy maintenance.
- Sensors monitor the level of battery fluid for increased comfort.
- Included in this package are the controller, charger, and float switches.
- A compact pump can be used even in small or narrow sump pits.
- BWSP 2,600 GPH at 0 ft
- 1,850 GPH at 10 ft
- Special CONNECT Battery Backup with WiFi
- Capable 24 Hour a Day Monitoring Controller
- There are primary and backup pumps included.
- Sturdy cast iron and aluminium building.
- Alarm goes off when the power goes out.
- The batteries are not included in the package.
3. Zoeller Sump Pump Model
Zoeller Aquanot sump pump battery backup doesn’t need to be connected to the main pump because it’s a combination unit. It comes fully assembled and ready for a plumber to install into a basement sump pit.
- An additional pump can help prevent problems with the original AC pump when the primary pump goes out or the unit goes off-grid.
- The models have issues with battery overcharging and battery burnout. There is a control device that is a reliable low-voltage float switch.
- The Model 507 has a 10-amp charger that uses noncorrosive polythene for the battery case. A metal chain is included, as well as an adjustable strap.
- Alarms, light indicators and warning systems are all included on all the fully solid-state auto-starters.
|Item Dimensions LxWxH
|7 x 7.75 x 12.5 inches
|Maximum Flow Rate
|23 Gallons Per Minute
- It is fully assembled
- The cast iron and the thermoplastic build are durable
- Also includes primary and backup pumps
- The battery is not included in the package
- Installation may require a professional installation
4. SEC AMERICA Sump Pump Model
You’ve already experienced the worst and it’s time to invest in a reliable sump pump battery backup system. Pump Sentinel Battery Backup 822PS is the best solution for dependable power during power outages. It’s designed to work as the primary battery backup during power outages. That means you don’t have to worry about me anymore.
- Here’s How it works? Pump Sentry interfaces between a pump and the AC electrical supply. A battery backup system keeps a lamp or appliance powered even when the power goes out. It monitors the power line and detects a power outage. When a power outage occurs, the Pump Sentry converts the battery energy into AC power using an inverter. The power cord for this AC is a standard plug, so if your home doesn’t have electricity, the pump will still operate.
- A compact and durable sump pump battery backup which is housed in rugged aluminium. It supports full pump capacity and can be easily installed. It provides a silent and clean operation.
- You’ll need the functionality of the battery backup to connect a 12-volt deep cycle marine battery with a capacity rating between 90 and 200 amperes and include battery cables.
- Base Material: Aluminum
- Weight: 12 Pounds
- Consumer Warranty: 2 Years
- Dimensions: 18.5L x 8.4W x 3.5H
- Affordable unit
- Runs quite & switches perfect
- May require professional installation
5. Superior Sump Pump Model
With Superior Pumps battery backup sump pump, you’ll enjoy many years of reliable protection from flood damage when the power goes out. It’s made from corrosion-resistant, thermoplastic construction.
It comes with an easy-to-remove and clean intake screen filter that helps keep debris from entering the pump’s motor. It also comes with a thermoplastic battery box to protect the 12-volt battery (not included) from moisture and corrosion.
- Water can be lifted up to 25 of vertical height with the 1/3 HP Utility pump moving up to 1800 gallons per hour. 10′ cord length is tough thermoplastic construction.
- 3/4 inch garden hose adapter is included, which allows you to connect the pump to your garden hose. These screens are easy to clean and ideal for use with your most delicate, valuable products.
- Superior Pumps are built to last with quality components and are factory tested.
|Item Dimensions LxWxH
|12 x 7 x 7 inches
|Maximum Flow Rate
|30 Gallons Per Minute
- The box is made of thermoplastic
- There is a build that is resistant to corrosive elements
- It is very easy to clean the intake screen filter
- Battery not included
A sump pump will prevent flooding, especially during heavy rainfall. It will also ensure that your home is not destroyed by water. A sump pump can keep your basement dry even if the outside is flooded. It is also worth noting that installing a sump pump does not cost a lot of money. The initial investment may be more expensive than you expect. You can consider purchasing a battery-operated sump pump as a secondary sump pump. It is a good idea to have a backup sump pump. This way, in case there is a power outage, you will be able to remove water from your basement safely.
If you are shopping for the first time, you might have questions. The answers to some of the most popular questions are found here.
Q: Is it possible to add a battery backup to the existing pump?
Yes, When the power goes out, the backup pump in the same basin will begin to pump water out.
Q: What kind of backup battery do I need?
The best type of sump pump with battery backup is lead-acid batteries. Your e-reader should have this type of battery before use.
Q: How frequently should a battery be changed?
It’s a good idea to change the battery on the backup pump every 5 years.