Hmm, that is easy enough.
You just open Google AdWords, type your search term, and take note of the keyword ideas. The next time you produce a webpage, you can simply insert these phrases in some paragraphs.
Then again, you have to know that it takes more than these steps to optimise your Web pages completely.
Understand Your Data
Many people with basic knowledge on keyword use can come up with their own list. Anyway, it is only a matter of grouping related terms. Is that right?
To rank in search engine result pages (SERPs) for increased online presence, you need to consider two vital tips. These consist of the following:
1. Understand each keyword – Given that the Web is dynamic and always progressing, you have to find out which search terms are most relevant to your campaign. Furthermore, you have to know which ones are most suitable for present and future use.
2. Determine its value – While you are considering the first idea, you must also look into the keywords’ relevance to your website’s theme. You can verify this through click through rates and user visits.
With these two guidelines in mind, you can proceed to one of the fundamental components of your SEO strategy, which is…
What is it?
Generally, it involves particular steps to help you discover search terms (phrases actively used by the people to find the information they need), which are relevant and capable of driving traffic to your site.
So, what exactly are these steps?
Check out the following…
1. Choose ideal keywords
Whether you are trying to reach an audience through your blog or e-commerce site, you need to carry out this procedure carefully. To give you an idea on the selection process, have a look at this table and the tips below it.
As you can see, the main search term is “Halloween costume”, which has medium competition level. Moreover, it acquires 5,000,000 global and 3,350,000 local searches in a month. These figures indicate that the keyword can provide you with huge traffic. Then again, you need to apply certain tips first.
- Find out which keywords your competitors are using. To know this, check out the table and look under “Competition”. The phrases with “High” indicate that many website owners are targeting them. You can go for these words or choose those with “Medium” competition but high global searches such as “Halloween costume ideas”.
- Determine which terms your target audience is using in queries. If you want to reach users from various countries, you can refer to keywords with high global searches. On the other hand, you can pick out phrases with high local searches if you cater to a small demographic group.
- Make sure that the chosen words associate with your website theme.
2. Use tools
It will be easier to look for and select the right keywords if you take advantage of wonderful tools from Google such as AdWords, Insights for Search, Analytics, and Ad Planner. Of course, you can also use other means.
3. Create content
Once you the list is ready, you can start to determine the effectiveness of your keyword ideas. To do this, produce Web pages and integrate these with the target phrases. Then, monitor their performance by looking into the following aspects:
- Click through rate
- Page views
- Number of visitors
If the results are great, you can generate more content added with the high-performing keywords.
Now, before we end, remember this final tip. Always keep track of the efficiency and effectiveness of your targeted phrases. By doing this, you will know if you need to continue using them or you have to modify your keyword list.
About the Author: Emma Tomlinson is the Head of Retail at Smart Traffic, an organic SEO company listed at the Top 10 of the Microsoft Tech Track 100 for 2011. If you want to read my other articles to check out more optimisation ideas, you can browse through the SEO Blog on Smart Traffic’s official website.