Before we go on to discuss about the Registry backup and registry restore, it is necessary to know what is registry. Registry is a vital part of the operating system, especially for those Windows computers where settings and parameters of the software, device drivers and system programs are stored. It is true that if the registry is corrupted or damaged by any chance, the whole system would stop working or would face a serious problem.
What Is Registry Back Up And How To Obtain It?
Registry is a vulnerable item for the software that is running your computer and a small action can cause serious damage to it. Actions like shutting down your system without closing the programs can also damage the registry keys. Plus there is always a risk of virus, Trojans, worms and spyware like problems if registry keys are removed. You can face problems like blue screen, freeze and even system crash if your registry is corrupted.
For this reason having a back up of registry files is essential for smooth running of your system. It is of immense help when the original registry keys are damaged and you need to replace them with default ones. Creating a System Restore snapshot is one of the ways to backup the registry. To have a registry backup you need to follow these simple steps using Registry Editor:
- Click the Start button and then click on Run.
- Type in ‘regedit’ and press enter. This will open the Editor window.
- Select File Menu and then click the Export button.
- The next step is to name the backup file and the drive/destination where you want to save them.
- Click on the save or OK button and you now have the back up of your registry.
Whenever, you need these files, you can import the back up files and can replace the broken or damaged registry keys.
What is Registry Restore?
If you have not disabled it deliberately, your system creates its own registry restore point or the ‘system restore point’. In case, the ‘system restore’ or the automatic registry restore is enabled in your system, here are the steps, which you should follow to have a registry restore.
- Open ‘Start’ menu.
- Go to ‘Programs’ and open ‘Accessories’ menu.
- Go to ‘Systems Tools’.
- Click on the ‘System Restore’ option.
- This will take you to a window where you will be given the option to select from the two either to restore system to a formerly saved restore point or to create new systems restore point.
- Choose to restore and a new window of calendar will open up. Here, you can select the date, when you your system has worked perfectly.
Sometimes, it is observed that this registry restore option doesn’t help a lot so you might need a program, which can fix the registry errors. These programs are designed to make corrections to your registry issues and thus, it will help you to run your computer system smoothly and efficiently.
John S Lam is a content writer and Marketing Executive who is recently pass s90-12a and in future he wants to get certified with s90-16a.