You must have been reading a lot about Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone. Now, how to get to know that which one would be more suitable for you? Well, they both might look similar to each other, but in fact, both are different devices. Both are computers, and alone, they can run an operating system so where is the difference? Let us know about it in this guide!
As already stated, Raspberry Pi is a mini-computer that needs an operating system to work. It is an amazing device that started the revolution in microprocessors. It was the first single-board computer that was cheap and had an easy user interface for the general public. This high-performance miniature computer was developed by the Raspberry Pi creators for younger students with less technical backgrounds. It is a really powerful platform and available in a small package for you. It is just the size of a credit card and is perfect for use in embedded systems or the projects that require a lot of processing power and interactivity. The other features of model B are:
- An SD card provides you with all the storage and an Ethernet cable can be used in order to connect the storage to your network.
- ARM1176JZF-S 700 MHz is the brain of Raspberry Pi.
- You can plug in a keyboard and monitor and load up Linux.
- It has graphics,
- It also supports an HDMI output.
- About the processor Chip, it has a Broadcom BCM2835 SoC processor that supports full HD multimedia applications
- The GPU is a multimedia co- Processor of Dual Core VideoCore IV specs.
- The RAM memory is 512 MB SD.
- It has 10 / 100 Ethernet RJ45 jack.
- It also has a dual USB connector
- The on-board storage options are SD, MMC and SDIO card slot.
And at the time when I was drafting this Article, the Raspberry Pi has launched the latest and fastest version of the Pi family on their fourth birthday on 29th February 2016, which is named as the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. This latest Pi member has ARMv8 Cortex-A53 Quad-core Processor with 1GB RAM and 1.2GHz processing speed. It supports the latest Raspberry Pi Operating System –Raspbian and is available online for only $35! At the time the company has introduced the new Pi member, they have already shipped over 8 million units of the Raspberry Pi devices all over the world, which shows the popularity and the high-demand of this powerful computer!
Pretty much similar to Raspberry Pi, but a bit more powerful as compared to it. It is a small form factor that is extremely expandable in order to create some truly innovative projects. It has been extremely useful for the makers, engineers, builders and artists. Though it may be a bit expensive than the Raspberry Pi, but the successor Beaglebone Black is available to you that is affordable for the hobbyists. The Beaglebone is based on an application processor SoC, TI Sitara AM335x that contains an ARM Cortex-A8 core. So, you have some more pins that you need to control. Beaglebone has also won the “Top Embedded Innovator award of 2013”. If you are a developer or a hobbyist, then Beaglebone platform is the best choice for you! The specifications of Beaglebone are mentioned below:
- The processor chip is TI AM3359.
- The CPU is an ARM cortex A-8 of a 1 GHz frequency.
- The GPU is power VR SGX530.
- It has a DDR3 RAM of 512 MB memory allocation
- There are 2 x 46 pin headers in this platform
- It has a type A host port for USB input.
- It has audio and video micro HDMI output.
- It provides you with onboard storage via flash version micro SD card and an 8-bit embedded MMC.
- The operating systems are various. Unlike Raspberry Pi, it not only supports Linux, but Beaglebone can also be Android, Cloud 9 IDE on Node.js w.
So, Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone?
If you are to compete for both of them, then the end result is a tie. You have to account for the ease of usage, functions and price while choosing any platform. Now, Raspberry is being cheap and Beaglebone being more powerful justifies that each one has its own pros and cons. You have to choose any one depending on what purpose you are choosing for and what are your requirements. Choose the one that fulfills them.