Virus and malware affecting their system is the worst nightmare for any Windows user. To stay protected, they install antivirus software on their computers. But sometimes the situation gets worse as the antivirus itself starts developing certain issues that make the computer vulnerable to threats. Avast is one of the most preferred antivirus brands among the Windows enthusiasts. Sometimes Avast experiences certain failures and it results in the Avast Background Service not running. In this post, I will explain how to fix the “Avast Background Service not running” issue in Windows 8/8.1/10 computers within a few minutes.
Avast Background Service Not Running Issue
Windows has a default antivirus program for Windows 10 that is Windows Defender. One of the most powerful tools useful when it comes to the overall protection. Many users get a free installation of antivirus programs at the time of purchase. All of these third-party antivirus programs for Windows 10 offers a variety of features.
Avast antivirus is one of the security programs that is installed on many systems. The best part of this is that it is available for free and has a lot of advanced security features. But there is a huge Question MARK?
Using Avast antivirus many users complain about seeing mysterious errors:
You are Unprotected – Avast background service is not running
Methods to Kill This Issue
The error message goes with this – ‘Start now’ and ‘Resolve all’ buttons. But clicking on any of them won’t resolve the issue. Usually, users face this issue after they updated Avast antivirus to the latest version available. This is horrifying, Indeed I can say that with my own experience. There are several methods available to help solve this problem.
Set Startup type to Automatic
Setting the Avast startup type to automatic might help to fix this issue. Follow these steps in order to do so:
- Go to the search bar from Start menu and type services.msc . From the list of results, click on Services to open it.
- In the Services window, locate the service named as Avast Antivirus. Double-click on it and it will open the Avast Antivirus Properties window.
- Go to the Startup type section and set it to Automatic (if is not set already) using drop-down box.
- Reboot your computer.
Disable Avast Shields Control
Disabling the Avast shields control until the computer is restarted can also fix this nagging issue. Follow these steps in order to do:
- Right-click on the Avast icon available in the system.
- From the context menu, select Avast Shield Control and then select Disable until Computer is restarted.
- Restart your computer and check if the error has disappeared.
Modify & Repair Avast
Using the Repair option in Avast can fix any existing error. Follow these steps to repair Avast:
- Launch the Settings app and navigate to Apps – > Apps & Features.
- Look for Avast Free Antivirus on the right panel and click on it. Then click on the Modify button instead of Uninstall. When UAC dialog box appears, click Yes to continue.
- In the Avast application window, find and click on the Repair button.
Avast is a widely used antivirus program for Windows 10. That’s why it is essential for a user to know how to tackle all these issues. For any queries, doubts or suggestions, feel free to comment in the Comments section below. Hope I helped you with what you needed. Have a nice day, Folks!